Popcorn Songs

...and other stuff, but it's the popcorn mix I can't get enough of.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

 

Better Descriptors

No reminiscence quite so satisfying as a love both sour and sweet.

I wrote this poem in frustration with a girlfriend's terms of endearment. To this day, I'm not sure if anyone but she and I understands it. (For anyone in the know, a few lines have evolved since it's first 'publication.')


Better Descriptors

What's behind this battalion of words
This squadron of stanzas, syllables unfurled?
Consider this an ultimatum served
Better descriptors: an exigency!

When asked to describe a woman who
Regards me as nice and sweet and cute
What are the so-simpleton word I would use?

Synonyms, similies and gobbledygoo
Luvsy-duvsy drivel eschewed
Detecting a message directed toward you?
Better descriptors: an exigency!

Suppose by some congressional finding
Our love be deemed legally binding
I'd testify you were mine only lessee
But only the lessor would I be

Poppycock! Now the meter's been shot
My lingua's glossus is in a cravat
The anatomy of the perfect poem, this surely is not
Still, better descriptors are an exigency

Yet for all my pedantic, equestrian play
For all I contemplate, calculate and gauge
These words may return to haunt me one day
But still I say

Better descriptors: an exigency!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   December 2006   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]